Wednesday 12 October 2011

LitBit #2: To The Last

The challenge: to write a story in less than 500 words.
The rules: It must be less than 500 words, it must be complete and it must be clean.
Why not write your own LitBit? Email info@alderway.com with your story.

Today’s LitBit comes from Nigel K. Hammond. 498 words. Enjoy!

TO THE LAST

I struggle to open my eyes, it take several seconds to open them and a few more to focus on anything. Try as I might, I just can’t see as clearly as usual.

‘Maybe, if I just sit up.’

The words rattle around my head as I think them, followed by a sharp pain somewhere deep inside my skull. As I lift my head I start to feel woozy, the room spins and I am, again, defeated. My body is fighting my commands.

‘Something is wrong!’ again, a reverberation in my mind.

I try once more, this time with some success. I make out a clock above a door frame; I’ve not seen it before. The light is bright and is making it difficult to see much of the room in which I lay but, as I scan it, things become clearer.

‘A hospital room, I’m in a hospital room. Why? How did I get here?’

Thinking no longer hurts or takes much effort, although the awkward way in which I have put most of my weight on to my right elbow is causing fatigue so I ease myself back down on to the pillow.

The door edges open and a face peers at me, then disappears. I hear a shout but I do not understand the words. I move back on to my elbow trying to shift my weight so that I might sit up properly but this simple act seems beyond my ability. The door swings open, two, no, three people rush in. I lose my balance and my top-heaviness starts to take me over the side of the bed. Another unintelligible shout, this time, I assume, directed at me as one of the three rushes over to stop me falling. They place me carefully back on to the bed and start to talk. There is a man; I think he must be the doctor, and two women, one a nurse and the other … the other? I feel I should know her but …

I try again to sit but I’m met with more forceful words. I recognise some of them this time but my mind seems fractured. The nurse pushes me back down on to the bed and holds me there. My heart starts to race, I wrestle for breath as panic sets in. She keeps talking but I can barely understand a word as we struggle. A mask is put over my face, at first it makes the panic worsen but quickly helps me to catch my breath.

I’m so tired now.

The second woman is sat by me, she takes my hand and her gentle voice begins to calm me. I don’t know what she is saying but I feel the warmth of her tone wash over me.

I’m so tired.

Her face has sadness and desperation yet beams with love.

Then ... I know!

I muster all the strength I can.

“Jennifer, I ...”

A darkness falls over me, I hear weeping and then.

Nigel K. Hammond

Follow Nigel K Hammond on Twitter (@mrsmokestoomuch)
Read Nigel K Hammond's blog here.

3 comments:

  1. enjoyed this. couldn't help but wonder if any connection between fact and fiction exists...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, you spotted it! I wrote this story as I lay in hospital having just suffered a subdural haematoma.

    ReplyDelete